Thursday, May 29, 2014

GMO Foods and Some Of My Basic Thoughts




It is a hot and heated topic these days. GMO safety, labelling, etc. Unless you have been living under the proverbial rock, I am sure you have at least heard something of the debate.

Here are my basic thoughts on the subject:



My issue is not that the foods are modified. Scientists and others have been modifying plants for so long. My issue is the Roundup and other pesticides they spray on them in mass quantities. Sure the PLANTS can grow with them, as they are altered to do so. However this does not change the fact that the pesticides HAVE been sprayed on them. 

I also have a huge issue with the fact that our pollinators, bees, are dying en mass due to this. Do people understand the ramifications of this? Sure I loathe bees as much as the next person, but they are a necessity in agriculture. What happens when they are gone? How long until we are no longer eating actual food?

Should we label them? Yes! We should label GMOs and much more. What are "Natural" flavors and "Natural" colors? Secretions from the anal sac of a Beaver? Oh sure it IS natural, they are not lying. But do I want to eat that? Same with the crushed beetles that are used. Ewwwww.....

Of course these are my personal feelings. Again, I am aware foods have been modified for years. It is not necessarily the modification per se I am concerned about here. It is the pesticides that are KNOWN carcinogens. I have lost too much to cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!