Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Homemade Ginger Ale Is So Cheap, Easy, and Amazingly Delicious




I have always been a ginger ale fan.  What I didn't know, is there was very little ginger in any of the store bought ones.

Being a crafter (not a fantastic one) and a Do it yourself-er, I looked for recipes online. I was amazed by how many there are! I tried a few and decided to take components of a few, plus my own added touches to "create" my own. First you will make a syrup.

Now, I do not follow a strict recipe; I rarely do! But here is a really good idea of what I do:

Ingredients:



  • 1 cup chopped fresh ginger
  • 4 cups Water
  • 1/2 Cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups sugar ( for this I mix regular with brown sugar equally) You could use date sugar, coconut sugar, any kind you like to your taste
  • 1/2 T  Red Crushed Pepper Flakes


Directions:



  • In a saucepan, bring to a boil all ingredients.  
  • Let boil, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
  • Reduce heat and simmer covered for another 20-30 minutes. You really want to get all of that ginger out of the root!
  • After simmering is done, strain the mixture into jars (I love mason jars for this). It should yield about 5 cups.


This is your syrup. The next step is to mix with seltzer.  I have a Soda Stream, so I fizz up my water and fill the rest of the bottle with my syrup. And I am done!

Without the Soda Stream, you can use bottled seltzer. To make one glass, mix in a ratio of 5 parts seltzer to one part syrup.  You can customize the ratio to your liking.

Sit back and enjoy this healthy, crisp treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!