Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Botox Experience - Migraine Therapy



I have been diagnosed with "Persistent Chronic Migraine" by my neurologist.  This is a diagnosis 16 years in the making. When the headaches first started, my doctor diagnosed me with Cluster and Tension headaches.  I have had 3 MRI's, with and without contrast, many CT scans, an EEG and tried so many medications, diets.....

Basically, I have run the gamut of options. That is, all except two:

Botox Therapy  and Surgery to interrupt pain receptors.

Today I had my first Botox treatment. See the red dots on the picture above? They represent each place I had to receive an injection! And, let me tell you, it hurt. Oh my.... did it ever! Then the burning. And after the 4th injection, the forced migraine began. Now tell me, is this supposed to help of cause them? Of course I know the answer and was prepared for the possibility, but it still sucked.

All I know is I am putting a lot on the line hoping this is my "magic bullet". It costs $813 per script. That is $813 every 3 months! Oh, yeah, and that is with prescription coverage. And the process is very painful.

That is all I know right now. Hopefully I will have many more updates in the coming months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts!