Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Am Canning Butter! Who Knew?




So, I have done a lot of reading about canning butter.  The FDA warns against it, but frankly in the midst of GMOs and ammonia in our meat, I don't really trust the FDA all that much.

Most of the research I came across used an oven method, that I just did not feel comfortable with.  One thing, that I ran across in my research is that you should boil the melted butter on the stovetop for 5 full minutes to kill off any microbes (um they shouldn't be in there anyway I am thinking, but I like to be cautious), so I did that!

I also sterilized my canning jars, lids, and bands in the hot water bath method. The oven method, just didn't seem like a good idea to me.  After melting the butter and boiling it for 5 minutes, I ladled (again the ladle was sterilized in the water bath) into the jars leaving about an inch head space.

I secured the lids and bands, after cleaning the outside of the jar lips. Then I decided to again use the hot water bath method to can the butter!

From everything I have read, this butter will be shelf stable for 1-3 years.  I know some have used it after even 5 years, but I am not that brave.  I only made 6 pint jars, so I am positive this will be gone by the middle of Summer.

2 comments:

  1. So do you make your own butter and then can it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I use store bought. I just like to have some in my Emergency Prepping Supplies, and this is an easy way to do it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!